This blog post shows you how to use Displayr's API to merge two data files, and import the revised data file into a Displayr document.
Step 1: Do everything in Getting Started with the Displayr API
Once you have done this, open up the document and review the sample size on the first page, which should be 725, as shown below.
Step 2: Obtain the Document secret
To modify a document using the API we need to know its Document secret. This is found by following these steps:
- Go to the document's settings page (if in the document, click on the cog at the top right of the screen and press Document Settings)
- Expand out the Properties section.
- The document secret is located in the bottom-right corner.
Step 3: Download the appenddata.zip file
- Click here to download the zip file
- Double-click on it to open it
- Save its contents somewhere on your computer or network
The zip file contains:
- A data file called PhoneExtra.sav which contains data to be merged into the data in the existing Displayr document.
- A file called appenddata.py which contains a Python script for merging
Step 4: Edit and run the appenddata.py
- Open the file in a text editor
- On line 26, replace insert-document-secret with the document secret obtained earlier
- On line 29 replace current-file-name with the name of the file used in the document; in this example, it's called Phone.sav
- On line 32 replace extra-data-file-name with the name of the file containing the additional data; in this example, it's called ExtraPhone.sav
- Save the file
- Run the script, as described in Getting Started with the Displayr API
You should now see that an extra four cases have been added to the sample size at the bottom of the chart on the first page.