A Short Course for Learning Displayr
This post is written as a DIY training course in learning Displayr. It links off to a series of other posts, which have been written to be read in order, each one building on concepts from the previous post. This series of posts is each accompanied by a video.
Case Study 1: Getting started with a simple visualization
The first post to read is called Case Study: Creating a Simple Dashboard. It shows you how to:
- Start a Displayr document.
- Create a really cool visualization using data in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Set this up as a dashboard that can be shared with others.
Case Study 2: The analysis of raw data from a survey
This post, Case Study: Analyzing Survey Data, shows how to:
- Quickly create a simple report from a raw data file. The data file come from a simple shopping survey, but the basic principles are applicable to any type of raw data file (e.g., customer transaction data).
- Create tables and charts.
- Set up filters, both for your own use and for the end-users.
Case Study 3: The automatic updating of time series
The post Case Study: Automatically Updating Interactive Time Series Dashboard introduces you to:
- Pulling in data using external APIs. The two that are illustrated are Google Trends and Yahoo Finance.
- Have data automatically update and the dashboard automatically re-published.
- Cool interactive charts.
Case Study 4: Getting started with advanced analysis
The post Case Study: Advanced Analysis in Displayr (MaxDiff) illustrates the basic workflow of performing advanced analyses in Displayr. Do not be too concerned if you are not familiar with MaxDiff, as the workflow that is illustrated is used with many other advanced analysis approaches as well. However, if you are really sure you are not interested, you can skip it.
Case Study 5: Visualizing data
Case Study: Visualizations illustrates many of the different ways of creating visualizations in Displayr, by creating a report of the data from Case Study: Advanced Analysis in Displayr (MaxDiff). You do not need to have read the earlier post in order to understand this post.
Case Study 6: Updating analyses and reporting with revised data
Case Study: Updating Reporting illustrates how to update data files so that the entire report, including all analyses, automatically updates.
Having worked your way through the case studies, the next place to move on to is the overview of all the different features in Displayr: Introduction to Displayr 1: Overview.